Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Behold the Angel Wore a Megadeath Shirt"

Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Hebrews 13:1,2

I am sitting in a parking lot late into the evening, the faint glow of the chevron sign shows through my snow covered windshield. My car has no power as the alternator has decided to retire for the night and so I sit, about to experience the surreal theatrics that the storm will bring.

As I seek the warmth of a microwaved burrito the station attendant informs me my only option for shelter this evening is a local motel. The current rate is hourly, and I can only imagine the coin operated bed awaiting me as well as the roach invested bathroom, so I decide to brave the cold and slumber under a pile of my clothes in the front seat of my 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva.

The first guest to visit the station is an older man in a limo and an eager woman half his age, with half the clothes, buying a box of the finest wine chevron has to offer, apparently making arrangements to stay at said motel. This scene fades quickly as two groups of men flood the parking lot intending to engage in some urban warfare, only to be broken up quickly by the local law enforcement.

The time is shortly after 2 a.m. as the night winds howls, dumping more snow now on my Oldsmobile igloo. When I notice two men entering the gas station both in sleeveless t-shirts, torn jeans, 2-0-clock facial stubble, and hair which is partying in the back but upfront is all business. Through the iced windshield I notice the attendant pointing the men towards my car, and then they come.

As they knock on my drivers side window my heart rate excels yet my desire for personal possessions quickly fades. I have to open the door because the car, has no power, the men ask if I am having alternator problems and I respond, yes. They ask me to "pop the hood", then they take a look under the engine head to their pickup and return with some tools. They ask me if they can take my ailing alternator and rebuild it. Did I mention it is after 2 in the morning, the men have no sleeves on their shirts, and it's snowing? After twenty or so minutes my alternator is removed and I see the taillights of the truck heading through the blizzard conditions to parts unknown. From exhaustion I fade to sleep unsure of what the morning will bring.

Clunk. Thud. Scritch, scritch, scritch. I hear these noises in that place between sleep and awake as I open my eyes to the cold dark morning. I emerge from my car to see that the time is 6, the men have already reinstalled my alternator and tell me to have a safe drive home. I am dumbfounded. Two strange men who know not my story or my name have spent the hours between last call and cheerios rebuilding and reinstalling my alternator and then just as they came they are gone.

I have often thought of this night over the years, but it is my drive home that I remember most vividly. The sun was shining the earth was white and the Achieva is alive. As I'm driving I am overcome with both joy and guilt. Would I be as generous as the men at the station? Would I give up time, energy, money and sleep over a stranger? My pride quickly faded that morning but my selfishness lingers. Yet whenever I am in that moment of deciding to go about my own comfort or someone else's good I...

5 comments:

The Blaske Bunch said...

dude, you have a blog! this is by far one of the best days of the year so far! well...other than, like, meeting my new siblings in africa...the day sean taylor began a blog! WOW! excited beyond....like...alot...
extremely thrilled to now follow your bloggyness.
sweet!
ashlie b

Matt Cole said...

This is easily one of my top 5 Favorite Sean Taylor stories. You first told me this when I was getting to know you and I am certain I thought you had a "rough" lifestyle.

Oh! And, you have a blog now??? What next?

you are my friend.
MC

Unknown said...

This was a pretty intense story. This actually happened to you? Wow. thats so cool. great story. put in great words sean taylor=)

your blog is amazing.

i can tell it will be already.

-megan smith!=)

Unknown said...

I too remember this story...
I too am amazed that you have a blog...
I too have a blog...
You too can find it at:
www.notsoprofoundchad.blogspot.com
I too enjoy cigars.
I too just bought a Sopranos cigar...
I too look forward to enjoying it...

Matt said...

I remember when you first told us this story... back before you had any children..... back before your house became the landing zone for multiple cars.... back before.. ok enough with the back befores already.lol Even after all that time it's still an inspiring story.
Go check out my blog at teddybearsarentharmless.blogspot.com