Monday, March 10, 2008

Free the Trees (not a green message)

1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me,
Because the LORD has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.”
4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
They shall raise up the former desolations,
And they shall repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations.

isaiah 61:1-4

I thought God spoke to me...yep definately he spoke to me. "This is what you are supposed to do, here is the call I have placed on you, now go and do it." Yep he spoke to me, I now have a life verse, which was as you know a huge relief because here I was a Christian for 13 years at the time and I had no... life...verse. It seemed everyone else had one, and they were great. Some began, "go into all the world" or "be strong and of good courage". Me? When people would ask me about my life verse, I would panic and tell them some proverb of a "dog returning to his own vomit" or something like that. But now, ha ha, I have a life verse. At least I thought I did until I read the gospel of Luke. Here comes Jesus, out of 40 days in the wilderness and he enters the temple and begins with this verse; "the spirit of the sovereign Lord is upon Me,". What!?! Well I can't use my this verse, I thought, it's Jesus'. But then the Spirit of God spoke to me. This passage in Isaiah wasn't speaking to me years back, it was speaking to Jesus who lives in me! How liberating. These ancient words from Isaiah speak to places deeper than me, but Jesus Christ in me cries out..."This is what I do." I free, I liberate, I bring beauty for ashes, I bring joy for sorrow, Me, I do this." How liberating for me, truly, I don't bear the obligation to free others, but Jesus does. He does this through me...and He does this through you. So grow mighty oaks, bring glory to your Lord God. Grow mighty in strength, grow deep in your roots of faith, grow green with the life, only he can bring. Grow. Grow. Grow. Let Him, who is worthy, plant you, nurture you, and prune you. Because then comes the fruit in your life. Freedom is yours "oak of righteousness" .

4 comments:

Matt Cole said...

When, man? When? I need a hit!

kaity said...

when is the next meeting for a call to die?

Matt Cole said...

This is the most awesome thing I have read all week. It's only Monday, but I don't think it can be topped.

I think I need a tat with a tree and Isaiah 61 on my arm!

Well worth the eight week wait!

Jeremiah said...

so umm....I like reading stuff that you write...so yeah...post more sweet stuff...so I can read it...and enjoy it. :)